Tuesday 23 August 2011

Top Ten Tuesday - Top Ten Books You Loved But Never Wrote A Review For


A top ten list hosted by the broke and the bookish. This week it's the top ten books you loved but never wrote a review for. I'm going to have to have a bit of a brainstorm for this.

In no particular order:

10. The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters by G.W. Dahlquist
I read this book in my final year of my first bachelors. It took me absolutely ages to read because the chapters were so long and it felt a bit like a real editor had not been let loose on the book. It needed cutting down and there was a lot of info that wasn't necessary, but this book completely blew me away. The idea that a person's memories and desires can be stored in these little blue glass books and that society can be completely ruled by them really appealed to me. On top of that I was rather fond of the heroine and the two heroes. I passed the book on to family members to read, but I'm not sure any of them ever read it!

9. The Awakening by L.J. Smith
I read this one about six months before I started writing reviews, by which time it was too late to go back and write a review for it. Shame, as I would have absolutely ripped this one apart.

8. The Toymaker by Jeremy de Quidt
I have no excuse for this one. I read it about a month ago but never got around to writing a review for it. I've read several books since and my memories of this book are not clear enough to write a proper, in depth review for it. A shame as it is a pretty good book for younger teens.

7. L'écume des jours by Boris Vian
Title translated to either Foam of the Daze or Froth on the Daydream. I read this one in troisième when I was 14 or 15. Probably 14. And it was weird. I wouldn't have had the words to review it even if I'd tried.

6. Just William by Richmal Crompton
I read the William books over and over until the pages fell out. I listened to the audio cassettes until they started to go crackly. I lived for Just William between the ages of about 7 and 11. In fact, I had decided that I was going to meet William Brown, push Violet Elizabeth Bott out of the way (he never liked her anyway) and I was going to grow up and marry William. I adored the spots of bother he used to get himself and anyone assoicated with him into.

5. Fire Study by Maria V. Snyder
All of the Study books, in fact. I went from absolutely adoring this author and her story (Poison Study) to feeling she could have done better (Magic Study) to feeling she stole my money from me because she obviously hadn't put any effort into the book (Fire Study). I read the trilogy in my final year of my first bachelors, well before I started writing reviews. This book left me feeling so unfulfilled by the original potential of the trilogy that I felt quite lost for a time!

4. Firethorn by Sarah Micklem
I read this three summers ago, about two years before I started writing reviews. I fell in love with it. I loved the story, the heroine, the setting, the writing. I felt all of Firethorn's emotions with her. I felt her need to bind Galan to herself. I felt her betrayal when he never took her feelings into account even though she knew that, really, she was just a whore. I cannot wait for the final book of this trilogy to be released.

3. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkein
This one I devoured when I was a wee thing of 13. I'd listened to the BBC cast audio version of it prior to reading and had had parts of it read to me by my mother a couple of summers before. When they started to release the films, I wanted to know the whole book before I watched the film adaptations. So I did. This one completely changed my reading experiences. I only wish I'd had the words (and the thought) to write a review of it at the time.

2. Ill Wind by Rachel Caine
Another one where I have no excuse for my laziness. I could blame it on revision but then I was reading this while I was supposed to be revising anyway, so I won't be doing that.

1. Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn
I fully intend to reread this book and give it the full review that it deserves. Unfortunately, I read it before I started writing anything more than my thoughts upon finishing the book and as such my review of it is not particularly inspiring. It is, however, one of my favourite books. I would sing its praise, indeed I would!

And there you have it for me.

1 comment:

Hi - thank you for commenting. I love comments. What's more, I'm a big believer in comment karma! :) If you leave a comment, I will do my best to get back to you and leave a comment on your blog in turn (please keep in mind that this may take a few days!).