Monday 9 July 2012

The Cover Wars: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone



Tara of Basically Books and I decided to get together to do a weekly meme where we would compare covers of the UK editions of books with those of the US editions.

The aim of this is to just have a bit of fun. We put ourselves in the position where we see both of these books side by side in the bookstore. Which would we choose? Why that one and not the other?

This week we will be comparing the covers of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling.

US cover                                                           UK cover
 
Rea says: I realise that in this case my culture has formed me to be more partial to one cover, that obviously being the UK cover. I love this cover. I always have done. There’s another version of it with Dumbledore on the cover and I have that one, too, though that version is in Latin (don’t ask why I have this book in Latin when no one in my family has ever studied the language). I just love the colours on it too – it’s bright, it makes sure your attention has no possibility of wandering elsewhere, and I just prefer the style of the art to that of the US cover. Plus, it’s the philosopher’s stone, damn it, not the sorcerer’s! UK all the way!

Tara Says: This is so hard because they are both kind of cartoony and both portray bits of the book. The UK one is the one I knew about and I have seen so many times. It has the train in which he takes to arrive at the school, Hogwarts. The US one shows him flying on his broomstick. This is really hard so I’m just going to go with the one I have seen the most which is the UK one.

Score:

Week 25:     US: 4     UK: 12     Draw: 8

Do you want to join in too? Here’s how:
Step 1: Copy and paste the Cover Wars image.
Step 2: Copy and paste our intro or write your own but it must link back to both of our blogs.
Step 3: Copy and paste the US and UK cover images.
Step 4: Compare the two.
Step 5: Either use our score or keep your own score.
Step 6: Post it and share it!
Thanks and have fun!

5 comments:

  1. I've never seen this UK cover before, so I don't know if it is that, or I am truly in love with the other one.

    Anyway, I pick the US cover this round. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going with the US cover this time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. UK ALL THE TIME!!! Why? Simple.
    I hate "the sorcerer" part. I've never understood what's the problem with the US guys and their obsession with changing the names. Even the latin american edition was loyal to the original version dammit!!!
    /end of rant.

    I don't like Harry's face in the US cover either XD

    I love you Rea, I'm your number one fan.

    ReplyDelete

  4. Very helpful Post!!! This is the first time I have read a post like this. Find Career tips here.

    Harry Potter Mobile  Cover

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess Harry porter is the 1st movie which taken from the navel. The direction and visuals in this movie i really enjoyed from starting onward.

    Sameera
    Mobile cases and Covers Designer.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - thank you for commenting. I love comments. What's more, I'm a big believer in comment karma! :) If you leave a comment, I will do my best to get back to you and leave a comment on your blog in turn (please keep in mind that this may take a few days!).