Monday 2 July 2012

The Cover Wars: The Name of the Star



Tara of Basically Books and I decided to get together to do a weekly meme where we would compare covers of the UK editions of books with those of the US editions.

The aim of this is to just have a bit of fun. We put ourselves in the position where we see both of these books side by side in the bookstore. Which would we choose? Why that one and not the other?

This week we will be comparing the covers of The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson.

US cover                                                             UK cover

Rea says: In this case, it just comes down to which cover attracts me more. I’m trying to put my finger on why the UK cover doesn’t really work for me: I think it’s because it’s a bit too busy for my tastes, but don’t hold me to that. I like the relative simplicity and the fogged-over look of the US cover. It creates a better feel of the story for me. US for me.

Tara Says: They both are completely different and I do like them both. The UK cover has a girl and it’s black and plain but I really like the style of the title. The US one has the girl lying down and a foggy bit with a man standing there and it just makes me want to read it way more than the UK one, so US wins for me.

Score:

Week 24:     US: 4     UK: 11     Draw: 8

Do you want to join in too? Here’s how:
Step 1: Copy and paste the Cover Wars image.
Step 2: Copy and paste our intro or write your own but it must link back to both of our blogs.
Step 3: Copy and paste the US and UK cover images.
Step 4: Compare the two.
Step 5: Either use our score or keep your own score.
Step 6: Post it and share it!
Thanks and have fun!

1 comment:

  1. First off--I love cover wars! I love cover wars!

    That said, or shouted, both covers are awesome, but I like the US best this round.

    See you around the garden patch. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hi - thank you for commenting. I love comments. What's more, I'm a big believer in comment karma! :) If you leave a comment, I will do my best to get back to you and leave a comment on your blog in turn (please keep in mind that this may take a few days!).