Monday 7 May 2012

The Cover Wars: Darkfever


Tara of Basically Books and I decided to get together to do a weekly meme where we would compare covers of the UK editions of books with those of the US editions.

The aim of this is to just have a bit of fun. We put ourselves in the position where we see both of these books side by side in the bookstore. Which would we choose? Why that one and not the other?

This week we will be comparing the covers of Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning.

        
US Cover                                                UK Cover

Rea says: I really don’t like the US cover art for this book. I think it gives completely the wrong impression. It makes the book look like it’s going to be a paranormal romance full of sex, but really it’s an urban fantasy with no sex in it at all – and very little romance at that. Though there is a Fae that makes Mac take off her clothes without realising what she’s doing. He’s cool! The UK cover art, on the other hand, is incredibly appealing (to me). I love the girl alone in the middle of what looks like a town square that should be busy. The blues work really well the black to give the book an air of mystery. UK for me.

Tara says: The US version is of a woman and a man and that’s it – very boring and something I see quite a lot – whereas on the UK version it’s very different. It has a girl or a woman on it, but the image of her isn’t big so it’s not covering the whole cover. It also has some sort of a circular stone pattern, which looks interesting, and with the smoke on the top and the bottom of the image it means that the title also stands out a lot more than the US version. The UK wins for me.

Score:

Week 16:     US: 2     UK: 9     Draw: 4

Do you want to join in too? Here’s how:
Step 1: Copy and paste the Cover Wars image.
Step 2: Copy and paste our intro or write your own but it must link back to both of our blogs.
Step 3: Copy and paste the US and UK cover images.
Step 4: Compare the two.
Step 5: Either use our score or keep your own score.
Step 6: Post it and share it!
Thanks and have fun!


2 comments:

  1. Mmm hard one but I am going to go with the UK one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The UK one for sure! The US version I'd probably glance over, but the UK one has a much more appealing cover.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - thank you for commenting. I love comments. What's more, I'm a big believer in comment karma! :) If you leave a comment, I will do my best to get back to you and leave a comment on your blog in turn (please keep in mind that this may take a few days!).