Friday 11 May 2012

Follow Friday - 11/05/2012



Follow Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Parajunkee and Alison can read. Each week participants are given a prompt. This week's is: 

Q: This Sunday in the U.S. is Mother's Day, in celebration, what are some of your favourite books with strong mother / child relationships?

Now this is a hard one! As a general rule I don't tend to read books that have parental relationships in them. Not because I don't like reading about parents, but because authors often just don't include them or include them in such a way that they're not portrayed as good parental authorities.

I'm going to go with The Gaslight Mystery series by Victoria Thompson. 



It takes a long time for Sarah's mum to show up in the books, but she's a wickedly good upper class character straining against the bounds placed on her by the society of her time! And even though her relationship with her daughter is strained due to past sufferings within the family, I do like the mother / daughter relationship dynamic that's portrayed.

How about you? Leave a comment and I'll do my best to pop on over this weekend!

Happy hopping!


7 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this book, but it sounds interesting :)

    My Follow Friday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't heard of that one. Parental issues are a pretty big theme in books lately. I read all kinds--YA and adult--that have both good and bad and the wayyyy bad!

    Here's my Friday Hops

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this one either. When was it written?
    http://mommabearsbookblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/feature-and-follow-friday.html

    P.S. I'm so new I don't even know how to make a link. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard of this one before! Will have to check it out.

    Happy Friday :)

    Old email follower (amugglesmagicalbookblog at yahoo)

    The Muggle
    Nominate Your Book Boyfriend

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't read that one, but it sounds really cool :)

    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2012/05/follow-friday_11.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a captivating read.

    http://theplotthickensbookblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/feature-follow.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I know this one but it sounds like a nice answer!

    here is mine

    ReplyDelete

Hi - thank you for commenting. I love comments. What's more, I'm a big believer in comment karma! :) If you leave a comment, I will do my best to get back to you and leave a comment on your blog in turn (please keep in mind that this may take a few days!).