Monday 14 May 2012

The Cover Wars: Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief


Tara of Basically Books and I decided to get together to do a weekly meme where we would compare covers of the UK editions of books with those of the US editions.

The aim of this is to just have a bit of fun. We put ourselves in the position where we see both of these books side by side in the bookstore. Which would we choose? Why that one and not the other?

This week we will be comparing the covers of Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan.

        
US Cover                                                  UK Cover

Rea says: If you see the UK cover of this book, you’ll notice that it’s got that shiny film over it. Though I have nothing against shiny, I hate that film as it always starts peeling off the corners while you’re reading. In this case, though, I feel that the US cover is better suited to the book. There is indeed a minotaur in this particular Percy Jackson book but the image is broken in two and I like the idea of Percy standing in the water – the domain of his father, Poseidon – as he looks upon New York, where the action takes place. The US art actually appeals more to me here too. US this week.

Tara says: I don’t really like either, but I love the fact the US cover has water in it, and as Percy is the son of Poseidon it fits nicely. I also like the fact in the UK cover it has Percy in it at the top and a Minotaur at the bottom. With both of them, they have something from the book. I’ll go with UK because it stands out more to me.

Score:

Week 17:     US: 2     UK: 9     Draw: 5
Do you want to join in too? Here’s how:
Step 1: Copy and paste the Cover Wars image.
Step 2: Copy and paste our intro or write your own but it must link back to both of our blogs.
Step 3: Copy and paste the US and UK cover images.
Step 4: Compare the two.
Step 5: Either use our score or keep your own score.
Step 6: Post it and share it!
Thanks and have fun! 


2 comments:

  1. I have the US version, and I like it, but I think the UK cover is pretty darn cool. I think I like the second better:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The US version looks more oriented to a younger audience, while the UK version implies that this could be for older kids or teens. But I really don't like either. The US version is boring and the UK version looks kind of cheesie.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - thank you for commenting. I love comments. What's more, I'm a big believer in comment karma! :) If you leave a comment, I will do my best to get back to you and leave a comment on your blog in turn (please keep in mind that this may take a few days!).